Organizational Matters Renewal of Semester Registration

Procedure and timing: students

You want to attend courses and take exams in the coming semester? Then you have to be registered. With the electronic re-registration form, you can renew your registration for the next semester and at the same time check your data and, if necessary, correct it. If you are coming toward the end of your course and are not sure whether you have to register for the next semester or not, contact the relevant faculty to find out when, at the latest, you have to register for the degree.

You are concluding your studies this semester and want to be removed from the student registry? Or are you interrupting your studies for one or more semesters? Then use the self-service facility.

Would you like to continue your parallel degree program and only conclude your main study? You can't make this change by yourself. It's important to contact ZIB ( before processing the re-registration form.

You would like to change your major or minor or the entire degree program?

Choose the option "Continue your studies with a change of degree program" and then the option "Change of one or all degree programs (Major and/or Minor)".

If you would like to be moved to a more advanced semester, we also require a placement decision from the Dean's Office at the relevant faculty. If you are prevented from continuing in your chosen field because you have failed your exams, you can apply for a change of subject up to ten days after finding out about the exclusion.

If you have already completed your registration form and the change is absolutely necessary, the deadlines for an e-mail request to the Admissions Office have to be observed.

Deadlines for changing study programs

Bachelor students registered in Bern use the re-registration form to enroll for the master's degree program. A new registration is only necessary if you are currently exmatriculated.

The application for changing course - option "Changing from bachelor to master" - is not approved until the degree is confirmed by the study profile sheet (CTS). Until this time you remain registered in the bachelor's degree program and will receive a certificate of registration for the bachelor's degree program after you have paid the tuition and semester fees if your course is not yet finished. If you want to study a non-consecutive master's program, we require an assessment from the relevant Dean's Office.

Extracurricular minor with bachelor- (> 180 ECTS) or master's degree program (> 90 or 120 ECTS)

Apart from the Faculty of Medicine, you can take one additional minor with all degree programs. Additional attainments will be listed separately on the diploma supplement by the faculties. Enter the desired additional minor on the re-registration form in self-service.

Extracurricular minors are part of the principal study programs. Accordingly, the main course of study can only be completed once the extracurricular minor has also been completed.

To register for a minor at another Swiss university, you have to be registered for a major (main subject) at the University of Bern. After written confirmation from the relevant faculty at the University of Bern and clarification of the registration modalities at the student administration of the university at which you want to study the minor, enter "minor at the University of XY" on the re-registration form in self-service.

You are changing from a master's degree program to a doctorate? The change can be registered as part of the renewal of your semester registration in self-service. The same dates/deadlines apply: August 31 for the fall semester and January 31 for the spring semester. If you want to start a PhD in the coming semester, choose the option "Change of level to doctorate" and submit the registration form with or without any further changes. Then submit your confirmation of supervision as quickly as possible, and certainly by October 15 for the fall semester or March 31 for the spring semester.

We will then change your registration to a doctorate and invoice you CHF 200 for the semester fees for doctoral students.

Confirmation of supervision

fully completed in hard copy, but WITHOUT any additional documents

If you want to embark on a continuing course of study next semester (lawyer, notary public, priest/pastor), submit your re-registration form by August 31 for the fall semester or January 31 for the spring semester with or without any further changes and send your desired degree change by e-mail to the Admissions Office.