Requirements and Costs
- You must have completed one year (BA) or one semester (MA) of study at the University of Bern or you must have completed the previous bachelor studies at the University of Bern before starting your exchange program.
- Master's level exchange in the USA: Before starting your exchange stay one year on Master level at the University of Bern has to be completed.
- Excellent knowledge of English, if necessary further language skills in accordance with the requirements of the particular institutions.
- Registration at the University of Bern at the time you apply as well as during your exchange program.
- USD 100 application fee to be paid to ISEP by credit card (cannot be reimbursed).
- USD 425 placement fee to be paid to ISEP after the allocation of the place by credit card.
- CHF 6'000 per semester: Costs for accommodation and meals. The University of Bern will invoice you for this amount as soon as you have confirmed your place at a host university with your signature. The invoice must be paid before you leave. By paying the invoice you confirm to participate in the exchange and therefore, a reimbursement of the payment is not possible. The amount of CHF 6,000 is a fixed lump sum to be paid per semester (irrespective of the length of the semester at the host university). The services provided by the different host universities can differ (single or shared room, meal plan, usage of sport facilities etc.).
- USD 27 per week for CISI Comprehensive Medical & Global Assistance Plan. For your exchange in Europe, with some exceptions, you need CISI Global Assistance Plan (includes medical evacuation and repatriation) USD 3.50 weekly. For information on coverage for medical care abroad please contact your health insurance company.
- Tuition fees of the University of Bern (at the host university no tuition fees will be charged)
ISEP offers several scholarship opportunities to exchange students. The Heyning-Roelli Foundation awards scholarships to talented but financially weak bachelor's and master's students who are completing an exchange abroad. For more information, visit the foundation's website.
For students who wish to complete an ISEP exchange outside of Europe (as well as in the UK), a TOEFL or IELTS certificate no older than 2 years is required. If you need to take a TOEFL or IELTS test, please inquire about test dates early. Test results must be received no later than February 15 for the fall semester and August 31 for the spring semester. Cambridge certificates (Advanced, Proficiency) are accepted at some European universities (except UK).
Students who are majoring or minoring in English and do not have a TOEFL or IELTS certificate can apply to universities that accept it by using ISEP's Language Proficiency Report (LPR) (not accepted at universities in the UK). Your selected English Department faculty member will evaluate your language proficiency using the LPR form.
- Academic English Services: Information about TOEFL & IELTS
- TOEFL, TOEFL testing locations & dates, TOEFL preparation material