«Quality assurance and development is a complex system and makes up a culture embodied by the entire University.» All areas of the University of Bern are evaluated on a regular basis. The objective is to continuously optimize how every aspect of the university performs regarding this matter and to develop a holistic culture of quality that simultaneously respects the characteristics of different teaching and research cultures.
Quality assurance and development (QAD) allows the university to reflect on its performance and to systematically improve and develop it. So as to improve quality on a continuous basis, the University follows the procedures of a management loop system, as is described under Governance. The objective of the Quality Strategy of the University of Bern is to optimize QAD measures.
By 2022, the University of Bern will have completed its first institutional accreditation in accordance with the Higher Education Act (HEdA). The subject of accreditation is the University quality assurance system. The quality assurance system is the primary objective in this regard, with the embedded secondary objective being to meet the conditions of accreditation. QAD is to be considered an ongoing process that extends beyond the time period of the accreditation process. Each person, without exception, who carries out research, teaches, studies, and works at the University of Bern as well as all organizational units and bodies are jointly responsible for ensuring the quality and sustainability of University activities. Accreditation and all the measures associated with it are subordinate to the QAD system and serve to optimize this system.
The institutional accreditation of the University of Bern will be carried out in 2021, and preparatory work has already begun. Central dates of the procedure, which is being accompanied by the Swiss Agency of Accreditation and Quality Assurance (AAQ), are:
- by spring 2018: development and approval of the quality strategy 2018 - 2021, kick-off meeting
- by autumn 2019: development of the University action plan and the Faculties' action plans
- May 19, 2020: Opening session, start of self-assessment phase
- December 10, 2020: submission of the self-evaluation report
- March 11, 2021: one-day Pre-visit
- April 28-30, 2021: two-and-a-half-days On-site‐visit
QAD in the Faculties
All Faculties have their own QAD guidelines based on the overarching QAD guidelines for the core University tasks of teaching, research, continuing education and services, allowing them to meet the needs and requirements specific to their disciplines.
- Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Human Sciences (only German)
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Law (only German)
- Faculty of Medicine (only German)
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Theology
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (Vetsuisse Faculty) (only German and French)
Additional quality requirements apply to the Faculty of Medicine and the Vetsuisse Faculty as educational institutions for doctors and veterinarians:
- Accreditation for Human and Dental Medicine
- Accreditation of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (Vetsuisse Faculty)
Furthermore, other degree programs are externally accredited, especially further training programs.