Mobility and Exchange Outgoing

Application and Deadlines

Bachelor students may apply, if they have completed at least one academic year at the University of Bern at the time of the exchange.

Master students may apply, if they have completed at least one semester or the previous Bachelor’s degree at the University of Bern at the time of the exchange.

Our worldwide partner universities set different requirements for exchange students. For this reason, please check carefully which conditions apply at the partner universities you are interested in (see partner universities and requirements).

From your application to your exchange, you will go through the following steps:

  • Application to UniBE International: You will submit your application to UniBE International. There are two application rounds per year, one in January and a second in June (see also application deadlines).
  • Allocation of exchange spots: Once the application deadline has passed, UniBE International evaluates the applications and allocates the exchange spots. Students who are allocated a spot are then nominated for their stay at the respective partner university. The evaluation of the applications takes about one month.
  • Application to the partner university: After the nomination, you may apply to the respective partner university. You will be able to use the majority of the documents you have already submitted to UniBE International.
  • Confirmation of admission: The partner university will confirm your exchange after you submitted your application.
  • Organization of your stay: With the confirmation of your exchange, you will receive further information regarding your stay (visa application, accommodation options, course registration, etc.).

Are you interested in an exchange outside Europe? Please clarify the following points, before you apply – not necessarily in this order:

Research partner universities

When applying, you may indicate up to three partner universities and their priority.

For an initial overview of the available exchange opportunities, please see our world map. In order to check the options of the worldwide exchange, select exchange partner worldwide in the search mask in the exchange programme field.

Check the requirements (e.g. grade point average, proof of language skills, etc.) of the partner universities that interest you. Two documents per partner university are published on our website: The application information as well as the fact sheet. The former contain the most important points in brief, the latter are provided by our partners and contain detailed information.

Once you ensured that you meet all requirements, please check the courses offered by your chosen partner universities in a next step (you will find the link to the course catalogue in the application information). The courses of your intended exchange semester are most likely not yet published, but the current courses should give you a good impression of what is on offer. It is best to draw up an initial, provisional learning agreement (course selection). You will need to submit such learning agreement when you apply.

Would you like to know which partner universities are particularly suitable for your field of study? The field reports of previous exchange students can be sorted by partner university and subject and can provide some insight.

Registering for a language test

If the partner universities you have chosen require proof of your language skills and you do not have an appropriate certificate, you should register early for one of the recognized tests. The test certificate must be submitted with your application dossier.

Please note: Most partner universities only accept certificates that are not older than two years at the time of the exchange.

Contact your departmental exchange coordinator

It is important to involve the departmental exchange coordinator in your subject early on in the planning of your exchange (for their contact details, see search mask below).

The departmental exchange coordinator will be able to give you more information on the most suitable time for an exchange in your field of study and the recognition of courses attended abroad.

It is best to contact the departmental exchange coordinator once you have collated your provisional learning agreements for each partner university you chose, as these form a good basis for discussing credit transfer.

Remember that the application form must be signed by the departmental exchange coordinator before you submit your application dossier.



UniBE International Counselling

Do you still have questions about the worldwide exchange programme, individual partner universities or the application procedure? UniBE International will be happy to advise you.

To make an appointment, please contact the person responsible for the partner country you are interested in:

Please complete the online application form.

Afterwards, you will receive a confirmation by email, including the link and login details to our Mobility Online portal.

Please submit the following documents to UniBE International by the application deadline:

  • Signed application form
    Once you have completed the online application form and registered on our Mobility Online portal, you can print out the application form in your new profile. Sign the form and do not forget to obtain the signature of the departmental exchange coordinator. Only fully signed forms can be accepted.
  • Up-to-date study profile sheet
    You can download your study profile sheet in English on KSL under printed materials.
    If you do not yet have any grades, please submit a blank study profile sheet and let us know by when you can submit your grades.
  • CV in English
  • Letter of motivation in English for every partner university selected
    It is important that you specifically state why you would like to study in the chosen country and at the chosen partner university. Please elaborate on how this stay will benefit you in terms of further studies, your professional career and your personal development.
  • Language diploma, language test or proof of language skills in the tuition language of the partner university
    The exact language requirements of your selected partner universities in the application information and the fact sheets
    Please note that the vast majority of partner universities that require proof of language proficiency do not accept certificates, which are older than 2 years (the decisive factor is usually the year, not the exact date).
  • Completed learning agreement for every selected partner university
    Usually, the courses of the selected exchange period are not yet published. For this reason, please select courses offered last autumn or spring semester, depending on the semester in which you are planning to complete your exchange.  As this is an initial provisional course selection, it is not yet necessary to have your learning agreement signed by the departmental exchange coordinator. Important notice: If you are allocated an exchange spot and successfully apply to your host university, do not forget to have your learning agreement signed by the departmental exchange coordinator as well as your host university once your course selection is final and you registered for your courses.

    Learning Agreement - Word
  • Certificate of enrolment from the University of Bern
  • Copy of passport/ID

You can improve your chances for a successful application by applying for the MILSA program.

Two application rounds are held per year:

  • 15 January for exchanges in autumn and/or spring semester of the following academic year
  • 15 June for the remaining exchange spots in spring semester of the following academic year (where available)

You can either send us your application by email or post or hand it in at our office:

  • Send your dossier by email to the relevant contact person:
    Lenka Fehrenbach, (China, Russia, Taiwan)
    Henriette Graf, (all partner countries except China, Russia and Taiwan)
  • Send us your dossier by post (the postmark is decisive): University of Bern, UniBE International, Hochschulstrasse 4, 3012 Bern
  • Hand your dossier in at our office or drop it in the letterbox at the door (office 017).

The evaluation of applications takes about one month. You will then be informed, whether we are able to allocate you an exchange spot and if so,  which one.

The evaluation will take the following into account:

  • Requirements of the selected partner universities fulfilled?
  • Letter of motivation: Is the planned exchange project comprehensible and its benefits clear?
  • Grades
  • Application MILSA: You can improve your chances for a successful application by applying for the MILSA program.