Mobility and Exchange Incoming

Visiting students

Are you studying at a university that does not have an exchange agreement with the University of Bern and would like to study here for one or two semesters?


  • If you are registered at or have leave of absence from a recognized foreign university for the entire duration of the study period in question, you can apply to be a visiting student.
  • The maximum period is limited to two semesters (no possibility of extending).
  • We do not accept visiting students for the degree programs of Medicine, Dental Medicine or Veterinary Medicine.
  • You can acquire ECTS credits during your stay as a visiting student, but you cannot complete your studies here (Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, doctorate or PhD).

Applying as a visiting student

  1. Apply by the prescribed deadline using the designated PDF registration form and submit the required documents in paper form to the Admissions Office. The application form contains detailed information about the documents you need to submit.
  2. Once we have received your application, we will send you an email informing you of the next steps.