The legal secretariat is managed by attorney Eva Lötscher-Jaggi. It is located at Hochschulstrasse 6, office 258 (2nd floor) and is generally staffed on Wednesday mornings, Thursdays and Fridays during office hours.
The Legal Secretary of the Appeal Committee supports the President and the other members of the committee in all their activities.
In particular, these include: Participating in the briefing for the proceedings (clarification of the facts);
- Editing decisions, announcements, statements and other correspondence;
- Taking minutes at committee meetings;
- Participating in committee meetings in an advisory capacity;
- Cosigning appeal rulings.
However, the legal secretariat cannot and must not offer any legal advice:
- The legal aid service of the Student Union of the University of Bern (SUB) offers legal advice to students registered at the University of Bern.
- The intermediate staff association at the University of Bern offers its members free legal advice on matters relating to their work at the university.
- The University of Bern Ombudsperson is the point of contact for university staff in the event of conflicts that arise from their working relationship with the university.
- The Counselling Centre Universities of Bern offers services including advice on conflicts or questions about career or training matters. However, it does not offer any legal advice.