Mobility and Exchange Incoming


Students enrolled at our partner universities may apply for an exchange of one up to two semesters, providing they are nominated by their home university.

Please contact the office responsible for exchange programs at your home university to find out more about the application requirements.

Once nominated, you will receive a confirmation email, including the information on how to apply for your exchange at UniBE. You can then complete our online application form. Following this, you will be asked to register on our exchange platform Mobility Online and to upload your application dossier:

Once you register on Mobility Online, you will be able to print out the application form, sign it and have it signed by your home university. Please upload the fully signed application form to your profile (pdf format).

Please upload your most topical transcript of records in English.

Please check our course catalogue for suitable courses and complete the form learning agreement. For exchange students, we recommend selecting courses of 20-25 ECTS. 1 ECTS equals 25-30 hours of work and a full-time semester workload for regular students corresponds to 30 ECTS.

The courses of your exchange semester will most probably not yet be published. Please refer to past semesters, i.e. if you are completing your exchange in fall semester, check the courses of the previous fall semester as most of them will be available again next fall semester.

Please note that the semester abbreviations in our course catalogue are as follows: HS = fall semester (Herbstsemester in German), FS = spring semester (Frühlingssemester in German).

The majority of courses in English are offered on Master level. Bachelor exchange students are welcome to sign up for Master courses. Exceptions are possible and we will inform you, if there is an issue with your course selection.

Apart from courses in your study program, you may also select classes in other programs.

Please note that further training courses are not open to exchange students (study programs entitled CAS or DAS).

To facilitate your search, please check our info sheet on how to find courses in our course catalogue.

CEFR level B2 is required in either English or German (for students of English literature and linguistics: CEFR level C1). Please upload a language certificate such as TOEFL or IELTS with a score equivalent to CEFR level B2 (IELTS 5.5-6.5; TOEFL ibt 72-94).

If you do not have a language certificate, you may also provide a confirmation from a professor or the language center of your home university stating that you have the required level.

Students from English speaking countries are exempt from this requirement, please upload your passport as language confirmation.

Please note that your passport needs to be valid for another six months after the end of your exchange. Make sure to renew it in time, if necessary.

Please upload a photograph in passport format (NOT your actual passport photo), i.e., the background should be neutral and there should be no shadows on your face. Likewise, your hair should not cover your face. 
This photo will be used for your student card.

Application Deadlines

30 April for exchanges in fall semester (September - December/January)
30 September for exchanges in spring semester (February - Mai/June)