Mobility and Exchange Outgoing

Requirements and Costs


  • You must have completed one year (BA) or one semester (MA) of study at the University of Bern or you must have completed the previous bachelor studies at the University of Bern before starting your exchange program.
  • Excellent knowledge of English, if necessary further language skills in accordance with the requirements of the particular institutions.
  • Registration at the University of Bern at the time you apply as well as during your exchange program.


  • Application fee USD 100 to be paid to ISEP by credit card (cannot be reimbursed).
  • Placement fee USD 395 to be paid after the allocation of the place by credit card.
  • Per semester CHF 6,000: Costs for accommodation and meals. The University of Bern will invoice you for this amount as soon as you have confirmed your place at a host university with your signature. The invoice must be paid before you leave. By paying the invoice you confirm to participate in the exchange and therefore, a reimbursement of the payment is not possible. The amount of CHF 6,000 is a fixed lump sum to be paid per semester (irrespective of the length of the semester at the host university). The services provided by the different host universities can differ (single or shared room, meal plan, usage of sport facilities etc.). 
  • Medical & MER insurance (Medical Evacuation, Repatriation and Global Assistance) USD 95 per month. (For information on coverage for medical care abroad please contact your health insurance company. If your ISEP host university is outside of Europe, you must take out MER insurance.)
  • Tuition fees of the University of Bern (at the host university no tuition fees will be charged)

Language requirements

Most universities in the US and in the Pacific Region require proof of your English language skills in the form of a TOEFL test, IELTS or U.S. GPA.  For the fall semester, the test results have to have been received by January 15 at the latest, for the spring semester by August 15. Please submit a copy of your test results with your registration documents.

Cambridge certificates (Advanced, Proficiency) are not accepted at universities outside of Europe. For students applying for an ISEP exchange outside of Europe a TOFL or IELTS certificate that is not older than 2 years is required. If you have to take a TOEFL or IELTS test please enquire early on about the test dates. 

Students studying English as their major or minor who do not have a TOEFL or IELTS certificate can apply with an ISEP language proficiency report (LPR) for universities who accept this report. If you have any questions regarding language requirements please contact Ms Cornelia Stuber (