Organizational Matters Renewal of Semester Registration

Tuition and Semester Fees

1. Tuition fees are CHF 750 per semester.
1a.* Non-Swiss students pay an additional tuition fee of 200 Francs per semester in addition to the tuition fee according to Section 1, if they did not have their civil law residence in Switzerland or the Principality of Liechtenstein at the time of obtaining the university entrance qualification to a bachelor's degree program.
2. If you have not achieved a degree within twelve semesters of study, you pay CHF 1,500 in the first semester after the twelve-semester limit has been exceeded. The fees double for each further semester.
3. In cases of hardship, the Executive Board of the University of Bern can waive the increase of tuition fees in accordance with Section 2 either in part or in entirety.
See below checklist for request for exemption from higher tuition fees.
* as of fall semester 2018

The semester fee is CHF 34. For students who are members of the Student Union of the University of Bern (SUB), the fee is a further CHF 21.

In addition to the UNICARD, you will receive a certificate of registration once the tuition fees are paid. It consists of four confirmation talons. Each of the four talons bears the term "certificate of registration" covered with a transparent hologram film.

Reimbursement of tuition and semester fees

Requests for reimbursement have to be submitted within 10 days of the reimbursement reasons being known, but at the latest by February 28 or September 30 (date of receipt). Send the documents for proving the reasons for reimbursement together with your request for reimbursement to the Admissions Office. You can only be reimbursed if you return all certificates of registration and the UNICARD and if you confirm in writing, based on the documents of registration, that you have not received any benefits such as grants, training bonuses and tax relief.

Exemption from fees

The Admissions Office cannot exempt you from paying fees or defer due fees. If, through no fault of your own, you are in financial difficulty and thus cannot pay tuition and semester fees on time, please contact the social fund of the Student Union in good time for advance money.