Coronavirus - Current situation
On this website you will find the latest information from the University of Bern on how to deal with the corona epidemic.
Following the easing of restrictions in the research area, the university is planning to gradually retract the restrictions on office presence starting 11 May. A cautious approach is planned in three stages - more information on this under «Information for Employees». However, an everyday life like we had before Corona is far from being in sight. The top priority remains the protection of everyone's health.
Therefore, you should still continue to stay at home.
The University of Bern remains in minimal presence mode.
- Employees will continue to work from home whenever possible. Meetings and discussions are to be replaced by video or telephone conferences.
- The resumption of research activities on the premises of the University can be planned while respecting safety arrangements and the protection concept.
- The University is still not planning any attended events through to the end of the semester. Courses, examinations, and assessments are replaced by digital solutions. Examinations and assessments which are planned for Spring 2020 will still take place this semester. The current Covid-19 regulations can be downloaded here.
- The attended events in continuing education can be resumed from June 6, according to the Federal Council's decision of May 27 and in compliance with the protection concept for continuing education at the University of Bern. Further information can be found here for students and for lecturers.
- Reading rooms open again for students and researchers as from June 8, 2020: For staff and students of the University of Bern and the PHBern, as well as for students of the BENEFRI programme, a reduced number of study places are available in the reading rooms of the Münstergasse Library, the Basisbibliothek Unitobler, the Medical Library, the Library of Law JBB and the Swiss Library of Eastern Europe SOB as from June 8. Unfortunately, the libraries remain closed to non-university audiences – with a few exceptions – until the beginning of August. You can find further information here.
- Unisport is gradually re-opening its services in accordance with the current regulations. You can find further information here (in German).
- All public events are cancelled.
All measures taken by the University of Bern apply until further notice.
Reporting of absences due to coronavirus
Supervisors are obliged to immediately report employees who tested positive for COVID-19 to the Risk Management Unit (email@example.com).
The situation may change continuously. The most up-to-date information for Switzerland can be found on the website of the Federal Office of Public Health.
For further questions about the coronavirus: Infoline FOPH: +41 58 463 00 00
For UniBE-specific question
For UniBE-specific question: Risk Management Unit as coordinating office, E-Mail