Medical Library Services
The research support services team of the University of Bern Medical Library offers individual research consultations, lectures, and workshops for students, researchers and clinicians to support them in literature searching.
Advisory services and individual research consultation
- Consultation and support for developing search strategies
- Feedback on framing the research question and advice on how to translate into a search strategy customized for each database/source to search
- Feedback on initial search strategy / Peer Review of search strategies
- Advice on relevant sources to search (medical databases, trial registries, grey literature)
- Referral to relevant handbooks and guidance documents for conducting literature reviews
- Setting up search alerts for new publications
Librarian assisted search services
Librarian assisted searches are for the purposes but not limited to:
- topic exploration
- research support
- quality improvement projects
- personal knowledge
For students, the medical information specialist will not conduct a complete literature search needed to write their master thesis or dissertation. Students are encouraged to attend courses and/or individual research consultations offered by the library.
Comprehensive literature searching services
The medical library supports researchers, clinicians and external clients in the design and conduct of thorough and complex literature searches for systematic or scoping reviews, HTAs, clinical guidelines. Services include:
- Consultation and guidance in various steps in conducting a systematic review
- Search concepts and strategy construction for initial search strategy
- Database selection; grey literature / unpublished literature choices
- First search strategy draft submitted to the author
- Search strategy revision / final approval
- Running the searches in all agreed sources
- Search completion
- Peer review of search strategies
- Results delivered in an agreed format
- Search documentation of search strategies, databases, limits, numbers of results (to be included in the appendix of a manuscript and in a PRISMA flowchart)
- Writing the search methodology for the manuscript
The offered courses in literature searching and evidence-based medicine include:
- Curricular courses for the faculties of medicine, dentistry, and veterinary
- Customized courses to meet the needs of your institution, department or group
For any course offers in literature searching the research support services team can be contacted by email: email@example.com
Toolkit: How to Write a Great Research Paper using Reporting Guidelines (EQUATOR Network)
Guidance on Scientific Writing (EQUATOR Network)
University Library Courses including Reference Management / Literaturverwaltung
In many cases, you can link directly to an article from a database while you are on the UniBern network.
Start your search for an article in the swissbib catalog. Be sure to choose Articles and More.
BORIS - Bern Open Repository and Information System
BORIS is the institutional repository of the University of Bern and the Bern University Hospital.
Tools und Programme für das Studium und die Forschung (scroll to the bottom of the page)