Our libraries are closed until at least 19 April.
If you need something out of your locker, please contact your library by e-Mail.
Questions, feedback, suggestions
Our libraries are closed, but our ears are open.
Write us what moves you, how you organize yourself, and what we can do for you.
Borrowing & returning
- We now offer the dispatch of books from some of our libraries as well as from the University Library Basel and the Zentralbibliothek Zürich for a reduced fee of Fr. 5.-. (Orders Bern and Basel via catalog: collection location/delivery address; Order Zentralbibliothek Zürich). We cannot guarantee fixed delivery times.
- For book returns, a return box is positioned at the delivery entrance of the Münstergasse Library (Herrengasse, Mo-Fr, 9am-4pm).
- As long as it is not possible to borrow or return books at our library desks, no fines are charged on overdue loans.
- Orders that are ready for you in our libraries can be sent home on request and free of charge. Please contact your library or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Orders by courier from other Swiss or international libraries are no longer possible.
To order books or copies, a user card is required.
If you don't have a user card yet, you can register online. You do not need to show your identity card during the closure of our faculty libraries. Simply send an e-mail to email@example.com with the request to activate the new account (including your date of birth).
Students of the University of Bern are automatically registered with their immatriculation. The immatriculation number (without hyphen) is also the user number for the library.
- We are pushing forward the temporary expansion of our e-offer as fast as we can. New e-book packages, e-journals etc. are directly fed into our search and finding tools. First extension of the offer
- With a VPN connection students and members of the university of Bern have access to all our e-media (databases, e-journals, e-books).
- On our website www.unibe.ch/ub/easyaccess you can find tools that make it easier for you to find e-media.
You can still order copies from books and journals from our large libraries (Speichermagazin, BTO, Mittelstrasse, vonRoll, Münstergasse, Swiss Library of Eastern Europe).
This service is free for employees of the University of Bern (items from the University Library storage).
Digital course material
The University Library Bern provides lecturers and institutes of the University of Bern with digital course material.
Digital course material (DigiSem) are made available within the ILIAS eLearning system of the University of Bern.
At the moment, training courses do not take place anymore. If possible, those responsible for your course will offer you an alternative date or an electronic alternative.
Our public events (Buch am Mittag, Berner Literatur im Film, Fokus Forschung) are cancelled until further notice.
The Museumsnacht 2020 is cancelled. The next Museumsnacht will take place on 19 March 2021. Already sold tickets for the Museumsnacht 2020 remain valid for the Museumsnacht 2021.
If you would still like a refund of the ticket price, please directly contact the office of Museen Bern by 30 March 2020.