- The reading rooms of the Münstergasse Library, vonRoll Library, the Basisbibliothek Unitobler, the Medical Library, the Library of Law JBB, the Mittelstrasse Library and the Swiss Library of Eastern Europe SOB are open for all clients.
- From July 1st and 7th some of our academic field and faculty libraries are also open.
- The Special Reading Room for historical collections in the Münstergasse Library is open.
- One Uniprint device per library can be used.
- Vending machines are not available.
- Reading corners or lounges are closed.
- Research stations are accessible on demand.
- Overview of the new opening hours
Hygiene and social distancing rules continue to apply. Therefore, we can only offer a limited number of study places in our reading rooms. Please stay at home if you are ill or feel ill.
Return to regular loan periods
- Our regular loan periods apply again. For books from our Bernese courier libraries, you will receive reminders again for non-returned media.
Borrowing & returning
You can pick up ordered books and return them in the Münstergasse Library, the Basisbibliothek Unitobler, the Medical Library, the Library of Law JBB, the Mittelstrasse Library and the Swiss Library of Eastern Europe SOB.
- You can collect media from lending libraries that are connected to the Bernese Courier and the IDS Courier.
- Media can be ordered via our online catalogue to one of the reopened locations and are ready for collection within 48 hours from Monday to Friday.
- Unfortunately, media from libraries that are not connected to the courier (e.g. Geography, Plant Sciences) are only accessible again when the respective library reopens.
- Books from the NEBIS network can be ordered for collection to the Library of Exact Sciences BeWi (opening hours pick-up: Mon-Fri, 8.30am-12pm).
- Interlibrary loans are possible again for the order of books from Switzerland and abroad, which are not available in the Bernese libraries and and also cannot be ordered for the desired collection point by the IDS courier.
Opening hours for borrowing & return
Münstergasse Library, vonRoll Library and Library of Law JBB
Books from the Library of History of Medicine can be returned to the Medical Library.
Saturday, 9am-1pm (only borrowing pick-ups)
Basisbibliothek Unitobler and Mittelstrasse Library
Library of Exact Sciences BeWi
Reading Room, Monday-Friday 8am -5pm
Service: Monday-Friday 8.30am -12am
The lending desk at the IWM site is also open again.
Please adhere to social distancing and hygiene rules at our pick-ups.
Please do not visit our pick-ups if you are ill or feel ill.
Dispatch of books
We still offer the dispatch of books from the Bernese Courier Libraries (except JBB) and the University Library of Basel for a reduced fee of Fr. 5.- until 31 July. As from 1.8. the regular rate of Fr. 12.- for postal delivery will apply again.
For the period of the lockdown from 16 March 2020 to 7 June 2020, postage fees of the University Libraries Basel and Bern as well as various partner libraries are waived. These fees will be deleted in your user account.
For the postal delivery of books from the NEBIS network, the regular rate of Fr. 12.- applies as from 8.6.
- The access to electronic resources at the University of Bern is extended due to the corona situation. New e-book packages, e-journals etc. are directly fed into our search and finding tools or are accessible here.
- With a VPN connection students and members of the university of Bern and PH Bern have access to all our e-media (databases, e-journals, e-books).
- On our website www.unibe.ch/ub/easyaccess you can find tools that make it easier for you to find e-media.
Questions, feedback, suggestions
Write us what moves you, how you organize yourself, and what we can do for you.
You can still order copies from books and journals from our large libraries (Speichermagazin, BTO, Mittelstrasse, vonRoll, Münstergasse, Swiss Library of Eastern Europe).
This service is free for employees of the University of Bern (copies of journal articles from the University Library storage).
Digital course material
The University Library Bern provides lecturers and institutes of the University of Bern with digital course material.
Digital course material (DigiSem) are made available within the ILIAS eLearning system of the University of Bern.
Our courses are currently being carried out online. You will receive the necessary details after registering for a course.
Our public events (Buch am Mittag, Berner Literatur im Film, Fokus Forschung) will continue in August.
The number of seats is reduced, visitors have to wear a mask and must register in a list.
The exhibition "Schöpfkarte. Landesbeschreibung im Alten Bern" will be reopened on August 3rd.