Support for research, teaching and studies
- UB Bern offers advice and support for information retrieval in all subject areas.
- The comprehensive offer comprises crossdisciplinary, subject-specific and tailored courses, e.g. on literature management or for citations.
- If you have questions about how to go about writing academic papers or want to be coached in writing skills, we also offer academic writing advice and courses.
- Workshops and introductory courses are held regularly at a number of UB Bern locations. You can find out more at your library.
Research and teaching
- Bern University Library – UB Bern – offers advice and support for open access publications, research data management and data management planning. In addition, we manage and maintain the University of Bern Open Repository and Information System (BORIS) and are the point of contact for open science-related issues. Die UB Bern bietet Beratung und Unterstützung bei Open-Access-Publikationen, beim Forschungsdatenmanagement und bei Datenmanagementplänen. Wir verwalten und pflegen ausserdem das Repositorium der Universität Bern (BORIS) und sind Ansprechpartner zum Thema Open Science.
- UB Bern archives important data in the long term preservation system BerDA.
- On request, UB Bern provides digital course material.
Searching and finding
- You can search for media at the University Library (UB Bern) using the online catalogue swissbib Basel Bern. There you will also see where the required media item is located, whether you can borrow it directly onsite, or whether it needs to be removed from the stacks or is available online.
- If you are looking for articles from journals or anthologies, you can use one of the multi-discipline or subject-specific databases.
- The Subject information page of the UB Bern website offers ready access to the principal databases in your subject area.
- Using a VPN connection, you can also access all licensed databases and electronic full texts outside of the campus.
- Your UNICARD serves as your user ID for UB Bern.
- Using your login (user no. = student ID card number, without hyphens) you can order the required book and – as a rule – also borrow it.
- BIf the book you requested isn't located at the place where you wanted to pick it up, you can order it directly in the catalogue and have it sent to one of our courier libraries.
- If a specific item is only available outside of Bern, our courier will fetch it for you – e.g. from Basel, Zurich or Lucerne (this may attract a fee).
- For free courier deliveries from the NEBIS network, please contact our Library of Exact Sciences.
- If you would like to know how long you can borrow the ordered items for, please check your account and extend them as required.
Learning and working
- UB Bern makes over 2900 study places available across 20 libraries. Locations range from Neufeld to the city's historic centre.
- You can use them alone or in company, in silence or during discussions, and with or without a caffeine boost – UB Bern provides a wide range of study places for various types of study: group discussion or work areas, individual workplaces, cafés, lounges.
- Whether early or late in the day, you'll find a workspace at all times from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Spontaneously or planned: we offer a number of reservable study places plus others on a first come, first served basis.
- Online: At all study places, you can go online using the ”eduroam” WLAN. Alternatively, we also offer the ”public unibe” WLAN.
- At many of the Faculty Libraries, lockers, charging cables for smartphones, etc. are available for rent.