Swiss Alpine Club: the library of the Bern section
Ever since it was founded in 1863, the Swiss Alpine Club (SAC) has promoted mountain sports. With tourism and science in mind the Bernese club section established a comprehensive library collecting books, periodicals, geographic maps, photographs and paintings in 1864.
In 2008 SAC Bern donated its historical collections of books and periodicals as well as card catalogues to the University Library of Bern. This includes about 5,800 monographs and 100 journals from 1863 to 2002.