Münstergasse Library

Opening hours

Service Hours

Borrowing and returning

closed

Special Reading Room for historical collections

closed

Information counter

closed

Infrastructure

Services

  • Bibliothek Münstergasse is the oldest library of the UB Bern and houses the historical book collections and various special collections. Books and documents printed before 1900 and the Rara section are managed by the Historical Collections Center ZHB.
  • As part of its mandate as a cantonal library, the Münstergasse Library acquires literature from and about the Canton of Berne (Bernensia). The most interesting titles of this collection are available as a reference library in the Information and Bernensia section of Münstergasse Library.
  • The majority of the holdings are located in the University Library Storage Facility and can be ordered through our online catalog swissbib Basel Bern.
  • Reading room in the basement: basic selection of printed reference works from all subject areas (call numbers starting with LS).
  • Schultheissensaal: scientific journals, general reference works, books on academic writing and study guides.
  • Information and Bernensia section: books on Bernese culture and literature, local newspapers and magazines.
  • Lounge: regional, national and international daily and weekly newspapers and popular magazines.
  • Access to over 6,000 international newspapers and magazines from over 100 countries in around 60 languages, including up-to-365 Days archive.
  • Music streaming database in CD sound quality: "Naxos Music Library" with over 120,000 classical CDs.
  • Access to all electronic resources of the University Library (see also databases for customers from the Canton of Berne).

cUBe · Online-Informationen erkunden

Explore our extensive digital resources by means of the physical web on our premises. Find out what the physical web is and how you can use it with your mobile device at

Library director

Reader services

Circulation

Reading Rooms

Reference and tutorials

Collection management

Periodicals Service Center

Cataloging

Historic Collection Center

Old and Rare Book Collection

Bernensia Collection

Preservation Services

The history of the first secular library building in Switzerland

Between 1533 and 1535, the book collections of the Latin School, the canons' monastery and the dissolved Bernese monasteries were brought together in the west wing of the Barfüsserkloster to form the "Libery" of the Hohe Schule. The book stock grows mainly through donations from private scholars or from High School professors such as Arthopoeus (Niklaus Pfister) or Johannes Fädminger.

Auf dem Ausschnitt des Stadtplans von Sickinger aus der Vogelperspektive rund um den Zytglogge sind die mit roten Ziegeldächern gedeckten Häuserreihen an der Kramgasse, der heutigen Hotelgasse und unterhalb einer Stützmauer am heutigen Frickweg zu erkennen. In der unteren Bildhälfte befinden sich die Bauten des ehemaligen Franziskanerklosters auf quadratischem Grundriss, an dessen rechter oberer Ecke die Lateinschule angebaut ist.
Franciscan monastery on the Sickinger Plan 1603/1607

In 1632, the library received the book collection of the diplomat and humanist Jacques Bongars (1554-1612), doubling the library collection with its over 3000 volumes.

Vor dunklem Hintergrund erscheint das Brustbild von Jacques Bongars, der von 1554 bis 1612 lebte. Die Bezeichnung oben links im Bild lautet: Jac. Bongars Galliarum Regis Orator apud Germanos, das heisst: Jacques Bongars, Gesandter des französischen Königs bei den deutschen Fürsten. Der Diplomat ist stehend und leicht nach links gewendet wiedergegeben, wobei sein Blick direkt zum Betrachter gerichtet ist. In der rechten Hand hält er einen Brief, seine linke Hand liegt auf einem Buch, das vor ihm auf einem Tisch steht. Das Bildnis zeigt Bongars in fortgeschrittenem Alter mit ergrautem Haar. Das Gesicht mit der hohen runden Stirn und den weich modellierten Zügen wirkt ruhig und ernsthaft. Der Porträtierte trägt ein der Mode der Zeit entsprechendes schwarzes Wams und darunter ein weisses Hemd mit steifem flachem Kragen. Von der oberen rechten Ecke hängt ein kunstvoll drapierter Vorhang herab, der mit dem grün gedeckten Tisch links im Vordergrund korrespondiert. Die mit Bedacht im Bild platzierten Gegenstände verraten Näheres über die dargestellte Person. So lässt sich bei genauerem Hinsehen der Adressat des Briefes ausmachen. Die Aufschrift Au Roy weist ihn als Henri IV aus, in dessen Diensten Bongars stand. Der König ist noch ein weiteres Mal im Bild vertreten: Als Brustbild im Profil ziert sein Konterfei das Medaillon, das der Dargestellte an einer Ehrenkette um die Brust trägt. Neben dem Brief als Sinnbild menschlicher Beziehungen steht das Buch für Bongars‘ grosse Leidenschaft als Gelehrter und Büchersammler.
Jacques Bongars (Burgerbibliothek Bern)
From 1787 to 1794 Niklaus Sprüngli and Lorenz Schmid converted the Ankenwaag granary into a library. Hence Berne possessed the first secular library in Switzerland with its own building.
Auf der Schwarz-weiss-Fotografie ist rechts das Bibliotheksgebäude zu erkennen. Links davon steht quer zur Herrengasse, die damals noch nicht bis zum heutigen Kasinoplatz durchlief, die Bibliotheksgalerie mit leicht erhöhtem Mittelteil, die direkt an das noch bestehende, dreiflügelige Klostergebäude angebaut ist. Im Vordergrund ist das Gebäude der Lateinschule zu sehen.
View from the cathedral tower towards the west of the old town of Berne in 1894. The library building (on the right) has already been extended with the first part of the east wing. (Burgerbibliothek Bern)
The Schultheissensaal was magnificently furnished.

The market stalls and the mule stables on the ground floor were abolished in 1803 and the openings to the arcade were bricked up.

From 1860 to 1863, the library was extended towards the east (Münstergasse 61) by Gottlieb Hebler.

In 1887, the library was divided into a city library and a university library. Eduard v. Rodt oversaw the extension in the west part (Münstergasse 63) from 1904 to 1905.

In 1909, the library gallery of Niklaus Sprüngli was demolished. Since 1911, the gallery's façade has been standing as a fountain façade on Thunplatz.

In 1951, the Canton of Bern, the Burgergemeinde Bern and the residents of the city of Berne created the foundation City and University Library of Bern (StUB). At the same time, the Burgerbibliothek Bern was founded, taking over the manuscript and graphic departments of the former library.

Die Schwarz-weiss-Fotografie zeigt den Blick in den von Segmentbögen überwölbten, hell erleuchteten langgestreckten Raum. Am Boden montieren 3 Arbeiter Schienen für die Rollgestelle. Auf der rechten Seite schützen herabhängende Planen bereits stehende Büchergestelle.
In the 1960s, the first mobile shelving system in Switzerland was installed in the former wine cellar.
Another wide-reaching refurbishment was carried out by Peter Grützner and Walter Bürgi from 1968 to 1974. Among other things, a five-basement underground stack was dug under the garden.
Der Blick der Schwarz-weiss-Fotografie ist von einem der Untergeschosse nach oben gerichtet, wobei die in der Mitte noch geöffneten Decken die Sicht auf die Fassade des oberirdischen Bibliotheksgebäudes zulassen. Die Arbeiten befinden sich im Rohbau: Auf der Ebene der Kamera schaufelt ein Bagger Erdhaufen, und überall sind aus den Betondecken ragende Armierungseisen zu erkennen.
Underground stacks

From 2007 to 2009, the City and University Library (StUB) and the university libraries merged to form the University Library of Bern (UB).

The last comprehensive renovation took place from 2014 to 2016. The library building at Münstergasse 61/63 was rebuilt during two and a half years. The renovations were completed in May 2016 and it reopened with the new name Bibliothek Münstergasse.

Building contractor, client: Burgergemeinde Bern

Investment: 37,3 Millionen Franken

Architects: alb architektengemeinschaft ag, Bern

Bibliography

  • Engler, Claudia, Stadt- und Universitätsbibliothek Bern, in: Handbuch der historischen Buchbestände der Schweiz, Bern 2003
  • Schatzkammern. 200 Jahre Bücher, Handschriften und Sammlungen im Gebäude an der Münstergasse 61-63. In: Berner Zeitschrift für Geschichte und Heimatkunde, 56 (1994), 161-252
  • Michel, Hans A. Das wissenschaftliche Bibliothekswesen Berns vom Mittelalter bis zur Gegenwart. In: Berner Zeitschrift für Geschichte und Heimatkunde, 47 (1985), 168-234
  • Bibliotheca Bernensis 1974. Festgabe zur Einweihung des umgebauten und erweiterten Gebäudes der Stadt- und Universitätsbibliothek und der Burgerbibliothek Bern am 29. und 30. August 1974. Bern, 1974
  • Bloesch, Hans (Hrsg.): Die Stadt- und Hochschulbibliothek Bern. Zur Erinnerung an ihr 400jähriges Bestehen und an die Schenkung der Bongarsiana im Jahr 1632. Bern: Gustav Grunau, 1932