Slavic Languages and Literatures
The Slavic Languages and Literatures Library is the library of the Institute of Slavic Languages and Literatures and a sub-library of University Library Bern. Its collections are primarily intended for members of the university, students and other specialists. Other interested persons are requested to register beforehand.
The contents of the Slavic Languages and Literatures Library correspond with the research priorities of the Institute of Slavic Languages and Literatures. You can search for documents from the collection via swissbib Basel Bern.
Around 50,000 volumes are categorized in the open access area according to subject group/shelfmark. A small part of the Slavic Languages and Literatures Library is housed in mobile shelving but is largely also available for borrowing via the swissbib Basel Bern catalog.
As well as monographs, the collection of the Slavic Languages and Literatures Library contains around 350 completed journals (located in the vonRoll storage facilities) and 39 current journals that can be borrowed. A smaller collection of non-books (around 30 DVDs with films in Russian and Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian, microfiches) supplement the collection.
The Slavic Languages and Literatures Library collects literature focusing on the following:
- Church Slavonic language and literature
- Literature in Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian, Polish, Russian and Czech. Study literature and reference works are also available in the other Slavic languages as well as in Lithuanian and Latvian.
- Slavic linguistics in all Slavic languages with a focus on Russian and South Slavic linguistics
- Dictionaries in all Slavic languages
- We are also happy to accept your purchase proposals by e-mail.
Our catalog data are compiled in so-called scientific Slavic transliteration (pdf, 20KB) whereby each Cyrillic letter is replaced by a Roman one. The special characters can be omitted for online inquiries.
A return box is available in front of the entrance to the institute on the third floor for returning items.
- Study places: 26 long-term workplaces for students of the institute. Vacant places can also be made available to other students if required. Registration
- Two search points in the institute, B 343
- One self-lending terminal
- One group workplace in the institute, B 347
- Six lockable cupboards. Reservation
- Wireless LAN (network of the University of Bern)
- The library rules must be observed on the entire premises of Unitobler.
Registered customers (IDS library pass or Unicard of the University of Bern) may borrow books and media from the library. The conditions of borrowing and use are based on the regulations on use of the University Library Bern.
A terminal for electronic self-lending is available at the entrance to the library on the third floor for borrowing items from the open access collection. Further borrowing facilities: support platform (second floor), Basisbibliothek (BTO) (first basement floor)
You can reserve books from the mobile shelving, journals, non-books (DVDs etc.) and internal institute assignments available for borrowing via the swissbib Basel Bern catalog and collect them from the Basisbibliothek Unitobler (BTO) after two days at the earliest and one week at the latest.
Media from the non-lending, reference and course reserve collections as well as rare items and microfiches can only be consulted on site.
A return box is available in front of the entrance to the institute on the third floor for returning media. Other ways of returning: support platform (second floor), Basisbibliothek (BTO)
An introductory session is provided for all new students at the start of each fall semester that is also open to all other interested individuals. Dates are published via the Slav List. Registration: Institute of Slavic Languages and Literatures.
- Name / Titel
- Prisca Zurron
- Subject librarian slavic and baltic languages and literatures
- +41 31 631 80 60
- Name / Titel
- Jan Dutoit, M.A.
- Subject librarian slavic languages; subject librarian eastern european studies (focus southeast europe)
- +41 31 631 41 83
- +41 31 631 93 08
- +41 31 631 80 60