FAQ Germanic Languages and Literatures library
1. Why can I not find any books on the shelves with the shelfmark DT?
"DT" is a prefix to the shelfmark that is required by the electronic catalog in order to allocate the book to the library. This prefix must therefore be ignored when searching on the shelves.
2. How do I reserve a study place?
Using the electronic form.
3. Can I order books and journal articles in the Germanic Languages and Literatures Library online or by telephone?
As the Germanic Languages and Literatures Library is not equipped for either electronic borrowing or interlibrary loans, books must be checked out on site.
4. Where can I make photocopies?
A photocopier is located in the Institute of Germanic Languages and Literatures on the third floor. Copies can also be made at the Basisbibliothek Unitobler BTO with Unicard.
5. Where can I find licentiate, master's and doctoral dissertations that have been completed at the Institute of Germanic Languages and Literatures?
Papers and theses have the shelfmark "Br" (Brochures). They can be searched for online in the swissbib catalog.
Br.3 older section, serial numbers from 3000 Br.6 newer section, serial numbers from 3000 Br.18 Linguistics and communication studies, serial numbers from 3000
6. How can I find journal articles or articles from periodicals on a given topic?
Single articles that have been published in periodicals or journals can often not be found directly in the swissbib Basel Bern catalog. Therefore a database search is necessary. Databases can contain full texts or just bibliographic details. The bibliographic details require further research.
Following a search query you will also discover the "Articles & More" tab in swissbib Basel Bern: These results refer to the contents of a large number of e-journals and e-books. Databases on Germanic languages and literatures are rarely included under "Articles & More" so that in-depth database research is recommended at all times.
Articles not available in the Germanic Languages and Literatures Library can be delivered by the University Library Bern<
7. How can I obtain books or articles that I am unable to find in the Germanic Languages and Literatures Library?
Free courier services are provided within the scope of Bern's IDS libraries that deliver books to specific collection points. Ordering books via the courier services and interlibrary loans from other Swiss libraries is subject to charge.The Basisbibliothek Unitobler BTO offers the courier services and interlibrary loans at Unitobler.