The SWITCH edu-ID is a universal and secure digital identity for lifelong access to university resources. The SWITCH edu-ID is designed for permanent use and is administered by university members themselves. It is available to all Swiss universities and their partners.
Benefits to users
- A single identity for web based services regardless of the organisation
- The identity is valid for a lifetime
- Users can control the content and scope of their identity
Users must connect their SWITCH edu-ID to the campus account in order to use services that require university membership.
The SWITCH edu-ID must be used for all SWITCHaai services. You can see from the login window that you have to use your SWITCH edu-ID.
Login with edu-ID:
Select "University of Bern" from the list of organizations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the main differences between SWITCH edu-ID and Campus Account?
- is an account for access to services in the university environment also outside the University of Bern.
- is created by the user and self-managed at https://www.switch.ch/edu-id/users/
- remains valid beyond the affiliation to the university.
- can be be linked to the Campus Account at https://register.eduid.unibe.ch/ktools/index.xhtml so that affiliation data of the University of Bern is automatically updated. This is necessary for correct authorizations for many services.
- is an account for access to services of the University of Bern.
- Students receive their campus account automatically with enrollment.
- For employees, the responsible account manager submits a request and the corresponding information is sent to the employee by post.
- expires when leaving the University of Bern.
How do I register a SWITCH edu-ID?
Follow this steps for registration:
- Login to https://register.eduid.unibe.ch with your Campus Account.
- Klick the link “SWITCH edu-ID Registration”.
- Klick “Create account”, if you do not have an edu-ID.
- Enter your name, E-Mail address and password.
- Confirm your E-Mail address by clicking on the confirmation link that you will receive by e-mail.
step-by-step instructions (german only)
For which services is a SWITCH edu-ID required?
- all SWITCH aai-Applications. These include:
ILIAS, KSL, Studis Selfservice, Unisport Registration, BORIS Bern Open Repository and Information System, SUB Wahltool, Services from IML, DocCom
- Library Systems of the University of Bern and und Swiss Library Service Plattform (SLSP)
- SWITCH Services
At a later date:
- Online Application
For all other services the Campus Account must still be used. This includes, among others:
- Campus Groupware (inkl. Mail, Calendar)
- Login at the personal workstation
- eduroam and VPN access
How can I change the password of my SWITCH edu-ID?
- Log in to https://eduid.ch/web/reset-password/1/?lang=en with your edu-ID.
In case of problems with the access or the password, contact SWITCH support.
Is my SWITCH edu-ID linked with my Campus Account?
You can check in https://register.eduid.unibe.ch whether your Campus Accounts is linked. Login with your Campus Account.
If you see the SWITCH edu-ID infobox, you do not have an edu-ID linked.
I have more than one Campus Account. What do I have to do?
Even if you have more than one Campus Account, create a SWITCH edu-ID and link it to one of your Campus Accounts. All the other Campus Accounts for your person will be automatically linked.
How can I increase the security? (Enable Two-Step Login)
Two-Step Login increases security by prompting users to enter a second authentication factor when logging in.
To activate the two-step login, go to your edu-ID account via https://eduid.ch and click on the plus sign at "Two-Step Login" or go directly to the Two-Step Login settings (https://eduid.ch/web/edit-security-settings/) .
Which e-mail address do I use for my SWITCH edu-ID?
It is recommended to use a private e-mail address when registering your SWITCH edu-ID.
Your University of Bern e-mail addresses are automatically transferred to SWITCH edu-ID when you have linked your campus account to your edu-ID. These e-mail addresses can also be used when logging in.
You can view and edit the stored e-mail addresses at https://eduid.ch.
How do I change my personal data? (Change of name, change of address)
I already have a SWITCH edu-ID. Can I use this at the University of Bern?
Connect your SWITCH edu-ID to your campus account at https://register.eduid.unibe.ch, then you can use it to access the services of the University of Bern.
I am leaving the University of Bern. What do I have to do?
I am an Inselspital employee and do not have a campus account. What do I have to do?
For login to the service, select your aaiOrganization and log in with your Insel Account. It is not necessary to create a SWITCH edu-ID.
I get the error message "edu-ID not linked to UINBE or access to service denied"
Have you accidentally created multiple SWITCH edu-IDs? Follow the instructions to merge them (german only).
If this is not the case, please contact the Service Desk to check your authorizations.
Why is the SWITCH edu-ID used at the University of Bern?
The SWITCH edu-ID is a strategic decision of the Swiss colleges and universities.
Other reasons for switching from SWITCHaai to SWITCH edu-ID:
- Those who study and/or work at several universities now only need one account.
- Research in the swisscovery research portal is only possible with one edu-ID.
- The SWITCH edu-ID makes registering for studies more secure and easier.
- SWITCHaai will not be further developed (end-of-life technology). Furthermore, the infrastructure of the University of Bern can be optimized with the switch to SWITCH edu-ID.