The SWITCH edu-ID is a universal and secure digital identity for lifelong access to university resources. The SWITCH edu-ID is designed for permanent use and is administered by university members themselves. It is available to all Swiss universities and their partners.
Benefits to users
- A single identity for web based services regardless of the organisation
- The identity is valid for a lifetime
- Users can control the content and scope of their identity
Users must connect their SWITCH edu-ID to the campus account in order to use services that require university membership.
The SWITCH edu-ID must be used for all SWITCHaai services. You can see from the login window that you have to use your SWITCH edu-ID.
Login with edu-ID:
Important: Select "University of Bern" from the list of organizations.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I register a SWITCH edu-ID?
Follow this steps for registration:
- Login to https://register.eduid.unibe.ch with your Campus Account.
- Klick the link “SWITCH edu-ID Registration”.
- Klick “Create account”, if you do not have an edu-ID.
- Enter your name, E-Mail address and password.
- Confirm your E-Mail address by clicking on the confirmation link that you will receive by e-mail.
For which services is a SWITCH edu-ID required?
- all SWITCH aai-Applications. These include:
ILIAS, KSL, Studis Selfservice, Unisport Anmeldung, BORIS Bern Open Repository and Information System, SUB Wahltool, Dienste des IML, DocCom
- Library Systems of the University of Bern and und Swiss Library Service Plattform (SLSP)
- SWITCH Services
At a later date:
- Online Application
For all other services the Campus Account must still be used. This includes, among others:
- Campus Groupware (inkl. Mail, Calendar)
- Login at the personal workstation
- eduroam and VPN access
How can I change the password of my SWITCH edu-ID?
Is my SWITCH edu-ID linked with my Campus Account?
You can check in https://register.eduid.unibe.ch whether your Campus Accounts is linked. Login with your Campus Account.
If you see the SWITCH edu-ID infobox, you do not have an edu-ID linked.
I have more than one Campus Account. What do I have to do?
Even if you have more than one Campus Account, create a SWITCH edu-ID and link it to one of your Campus Accounts. All the other Campus Accounts for your person will be automatically linked.
How can I increase the security? (Enable Two-Step Login)
Two-Step Login increases security by prompting users to enter a second authentication factor when logging in.
To activate the two-step login, go to your edu-ID account via https://eduid.ch and click on the plus sign at "Two-Step Login" or go directly to the Two-Step Login settings (https://eduid.ch/web/edit-security-settings/) .
Which e-mail address do I use for my SWITCH edu-ID?
It is recommended to use a private e-mail address when registering your SWITCH edu-ID.
Your University of Bern e-mail addresses are automatically transferred to SWITCH edu-ID when you have linked your campus account to your edu-ID. These e-mail addresses can also be used when logging in.
You can view and edit the stored e-mail addresses at https://eduid.ch.
I already have a SWITCH edu-ID. Can I use this at the University of Bern?
Connect your SWITCH edu-ID to your campus account at https://register.eduid.unibe.ch, then you can use it to access the services of the University of Bern.
How do I change my personal data? (Change of name, change of address)
Log on to https://eduid.ch with the edu-ID to edit your personal details such as name and address.
Please note that the data at the University of Bern is not updated automatically. So you have to report the changes additionally:
Students - Studis Selfservice
Employees - HR Manager. Request: Name changes
I am leaving the University of Bern. What do I have to do?
I am an Inselspital employee and do not have a campus account. What do I have to do?
For login to the service, select your aaiOrganization and log in with your Insel Account. It is not necessary to create a SWITCH edu-ID.
Why is the SWITCH edu-ID used at the University of Bern?
The SWITCH edu-ID is a strategic decision of the Swiss colleges and universities.
Other reasons for switching from SWITCHaai to SWITCH edu-ID:
- Those who study and/or work at several universities now only need one account.
- Research in the swisscovery research portal is only possible with one edu-ID.
- The SWITCH edu-ID makes registering for studies more secure and easier.
- SWITCHaai will not be further developed (end-of-life technology). Furthermore, the infrastructure of the University of Bern can be optimized with the switch to SWITCH edu-ID.
When will the SWITCH edu-ID be introduced at the University of Bern?
The introduction of the SWITCH edu-ID and the migration of SWITCHaai will take place in several steps. From November 2020, the IT Services will provide a service for registration and linking the SWITCH edu-ID to the Campus Account. This will enable users of the University Library to create the edu-ID required for access to the Swiss Library Service Platform (SLSP).
Employees and students must create an edu-ID by 15.04.2021 in order to continue using the SWITCHaai services.