Degree Programs & Courses Language Courses

Master students

English courses for students at master level

Our courses are open to master students who are matriculated at the University of Bern to study for a full degree. All courses are free of charge.

Students must register before they attend a course as the number of places on each course is limited. Our courses are found in the core teaching system (KSL/CTS) course catalog by typing Academic English Services in the simple search box which appears in the first screen.  However, it is not possible to actually register for a standard course directly in KSL/CTS. To register, new students must first submit a placement test and wait for an answer. Returning students may register by sending us an email request from their campus account. 

Course levels (B1, B2, C1).  What does this mean?

If you are not familiar with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) and the terms B1, B2, C1 used to describe the levels at which language courses are given, please take a look at the self-assessment grid under Find out more. The CEFR is an international standard for describing language ability.

Your commitment

If you register for a course, you agree to attend regularly (80% of the course) and sit the final examination or participate in any course assessment. Please bear in mind that you will be expected to complete assignments and participate in an examination or course assessment to successfully complete a course and obtain the ECTS credits.

You may officially withdraw or deregister from a course without penalty after the first class by contacting either or the course leader. If this is not done before the second class is held, it is assumed you will complete the course and participate in the course assessment/examination.

If you do not complete your course, you will not be offered another course place/will no longer be able to register for an English course run by the Language Center.