Degree Programs & Courses Language Courses

Doctoral students

English courses and workshops for doctoral students

We offer a range of English courses and workshops for University of Bern students at doctoral level. All courses and workshops are free of charge. 

Please note that we do not offer places to doctoral students who are NOT matriculated at the University of Bern. We are also unable to offer places to staff members or visiting scholars at the University of Bern.     

Academic and scientific writing courses

Academic and scientific writing courses for doctoral students are held regularly at upper-intermediate and advanced levels, usually in the fall semesters. These writing courses incorporate a range of approaches, including the analysis of sample authentic texts specific to participants' disciplines. Course participants are expected to submit regular writing assignments throughout a course and will receive individual guidance and feedback on revising their texts, some of which may later be incorporated into doctoral theses or articles submitted for publication.

Two doctoral writing courses are included in the autumn 2019 course program:  

Writing at Doctoral Level in the Social Sciences & Humanities at an upper-intermediate/advanced B2/C1 level;

Scientific Communication in English for Graduate School Students (PhD Focus) at an advanced C1 & above level. 

To find out more about each course, please read the full course description in CTS/KSL by clicking on the above links. 

As the number of open places in our courses is limited, students must register before they start attending. To register, students submit a placement test to make sure a course is suitable (at the correct level). The placement test is only available during the registration period.  It is can be found under this link.


Workshops are short courses which do not require a student to be at a particular learning level to attend. Direct registration in KSL/CTS is possible.   

There will be no additional workshops for doctoral students in autumn 2019 (semester HS19). 

Course levels (B1, B2, C1).  What does this mean?

If you are not familiar with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) and the terms B1, B2, C1 used to describe the levels at which language courses are given, please take a look at the self-assessment grid under Find out more. The CEFR is an international standard for describing language ability.

Your commitment

If you register for a course, you agree to attend regularly (80% of the course) and sit the final examination or participate in any course assessment. Please bear in mind that you will be expected to complete assignments (homework) each week and participate in an examination or course assessment to successfully complete a course and obtain the ECTS credits.