Mobility and Exchange Students

Financial matters

Financial proof for residence permit

For your stay in Switzerland, you need at least CHF 1,500 a month for accommodation and food.

It is difficult to find part-time jobs. As a non-Swiss student you are allowed to work a maximum of 15 hours a week. Non-EU/EFTA may only start working in Switzerland after having lived in the country for six months. Special transitory measures are applied on Croatian nationals. 

To apply for a residence permit, you require financial proof confirming that you will be able to pay the minimum living expenses of CHF 1,500 a month (a bank statement from your bank account or a written guarantee from a person supporting you with CHF 1,500 a month with bank statement and a copy of the person's passport).

Living expenses

To help you plan your stay, we have listed the estimated monthly living expenses:

Expenses for
around CHF per month
Accommodation (potential additional costs: telephone, internet, SERAFE)  620 - 800        
Health / medical insurance                 180 - 400                      
Food, household goods 400 - 500        
Public transport
Course material       100        
Miscellaneous 100 - 300 
TOTAL 1'500 - 2'200