Advisory Services Welcome Center

Car and driver's license

When you move, you must declare your car to Swiss customs and then you have 12 months to

  • transcribe your driver's license
  • register your car  
  • take out Swiss car insurance

Tip: Driving in historic downtown Bern is largely prohibited, and even in the residential neighborhoods streets are narrow and it is not always easy to find a parking space. The university only has (a few) parking spaces that can be rented. For travel in Bern, it is advisable to learn the ways of public transit.


Your foreign driver's license is only valid for the first 12 months of your stay in Switzerland. After that, you must apply for a Swiss driver's license from the traffic office of the canton of Bern. Depending on your country of origin, a driving test or additional examination may be required. 


If you arrived in Switzerland with a used car and have lived in Switzerland for more than 12 months, you must transcribe your vehicle documents and register your car in Switzerland.

For new vehicles, other conditions apply.