Advisory Services Welcome Center


Within a period of 12 months...

... you should transcribe your driver's license and register your car in Switzerland! To register your car, you must also take out a Swiss car insurance.

Driver's license

Your foreign driver's license is only valid for the first 12 months of your stay in Switzerland. After that, you must apply for a Swiss driver's license from the traffic office of the canton of Bern. Depending on your country of origin, a driving test or additional examination may be required. Anyone with a driver's license from an EU or EFTA state is exempt from both of these on condition that the driver's license is exchanged within the first three years of arriving in Switzerland.

More detailed information on transcribing foreign driver's licenses is available from the road traffic and shipping office in Bern.

Vehicles with foreign license plates

If you arrived in Switzerland with a used car and have lived in Switzerland for more than 12 months, you must transcribe your vehicle documents and register your car in Switzerland. (For new vehicles, other conditions apply.) Tip: Deal with all formalities in good time! The road traffic and shipping office in the canton of Bern provides detailed information about this.