Lerchenweg Library comprises the institute libraries of the Institute for Islamic Studies, Institute for the Science of Religion and Institute of Social Anthropology.
Lerchenweg Library is open to the public; however, its services and collections are geared toward the needs of the researchers, lecturers and students of the University of Bern.
Our room information system leads you to the libraries, rooms, and services available at Unitobler.
Lerchenweg Library comprises around 60,000 documents. The collection priorities are as follows:
- Anthropology of transnationalism, of the state, of work, Islamic societies, of kinship
- Migration and gender research
- Legal and media anthropology
- Economic and environmental anthropology
Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies:
- History and culture of the Near and Middle East
- Linguistics of Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Central Asian Turkic languages
- Literatures of the Near and Middle East (in original language)
Science of Religion:
- Religious theory, religious systematics, literature on religious traditions
- Buddhism in India and the Tibetan culture area
- Study places: 18 workplaces and 22 reservable master workplaces
- Wireless LAN (network of the University of Bern and Bern University of Teacher Education)
- 38 lockers for registered customers
- Uniprint device
The library rules must be observed on the entire premises of Unitobler.
Registered customers (IDS library pass or Unicard of the University of Bern) may borrow books and media from the library. The conditions for loan and use are based on the regulations of the University Library Bern.
The library has a self-checkout station for borrowing items from the unrestricted access collection. Other borrowing options: Basisbibliothek Unitobler (1st basement level).
You can reserve books from the mobile shelving and other locations that are not freely accessible via the swissbib Basel Bern catalog and collect them from the Lerchenweg Library after two days at the earliest and one week at the latest.
Media from the non-lending and course reserve collections cannot be borrowed but can be consulted on site.
There is a returns box if you wish to return any media when the library is closed. Other ways of returning: Basisbibliothek Unitobler, support platform (Länggasstr. 49, 2nd floor)
- +41 31 631 54 84
- +41 31 631 80 56
Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies
- Name / Titel
- Edeltraud von der Schmitt
- Subject Librarian Islamic Studies, Social Anthropology (Ethnology / Folklore)
- +41 31 631 88 92
- +41 31 631 92 87
Science of Religion
- +41 31 631 80 01
- +41 31 631 93 80