iTools is a special section in ILIAS that provides easy access to individual ILIAS objects. Staff and students can set up public online surveys and work groups independently in iTools. The service is extended with other ILIAS tools as required.
Setting up individual applications independently
The tools in iTools are available in the University of Bern's ILIAS and is provided by iLUB Support Center. They require no ILIAS courses but can be created, managed and set up independently in the corresponding categories of your own ILIAS tools.
Short-URL of this page: www.aboutitools.unibe.ch
All university members of higher education institutions connected to SWITCHaai have access to iTools of the University of Bern.
For the login, use the Campus Account of your host institution. For members of the University of Bern, this is the same account as for the university e-mail and the study profile sheet login.
For external users
Login without campus account
Persons of this following swiss institutions have already access to ILIAS of the University of Bern. External users (primarily people from non-Swiss higher education institutions) who do not belong to one of the host institutions listed in the login window can use a VHO account. Read more under VHO-Account.
Open work group
Create iTools group
This page informs you how to create and set up a work group for cooperation in iTools at the University of Bern.
Important: You must be logged in to create new objects.
Create a group
- Consult www.itools.unibe.ch
- Register in the system at the top right via “Login” using your campus account
- Click on the appropriate category for work groups:
- “Arbeitsgruppen für Studierende” (=Work groups for students) (please select the relevant faculty)
- “Arbeitsgruppen für Lehre” (=Work groups for teaching) (e.g. discussion in a team of lecturers)
- “Arbeitsgruppen für Forschung und Administration” (=Work groups for research and administration) (e.g. research group, Dean's offices)
- Click on “Add new item” and select “Group”.
- Give your group a suitable title. Decide on the type of group.
- Click on “Create new group”.
|Type||With a public group, future members can join independently (directly, with group password or with application). For a closed group, the group administrators enter the individual future group members manually; this group cannot be seen by non-members.|
Joining by link
||Send this link directly to the group members. They do not need to note a password or know where the group is located in ILIAS. Only works if it is possible to join!|
|File exchange||Files can be exchanged, commented and organized in folders.|
|Knowledge management||In Wikis, ideas can be collected and texts can be written at the same time in Etherpads.|
|Survey||The poll, live voting and "Umfrage" (=consultation survey) tools provide a means of questioning the group members on a specific theme.|
Discussion can be initiated in a forum and pursued in sub-groups according to interest.
|Mail to members||This function can be used to send e-mails to all group members and administrators without need to know the individual e-mail addresses of the people concerned.|
Who can do what?
The group is already predefined such that they can work together. Both the group administrators and group members can add new objects.
For easier identification, bear in mind that group administrators can do more than group members.
|Adjust permissions||It is predetermined as standard which objects can be added to a group. These can be extended via “Permissions”.||-|
In addition to objects, text blocks, file lists, pictures, etc. can be added.
All objects, incl. the group itself
||Only own objects|
Add new objects
Mail to members
Create online survey
Creating iTools survey
This page informs you how to set up and implement an ILIAS survey for public surveys in iTools at the University of Bern.
Important: Only Unibe staff and Unibe students with a campus account can create surveys and evaluations in iTools.
Create a survey
- Consult www.itools.unibe.ch
- Register in the system at the top right via “Login” using your campus account.
- Click on the category “Umfragen und Evaluationen” (=Surveys and evaluations).
- Click on “Add new item” and select “Category”.
- Assign the category an explicit and suitable name.
- Click on “Add new item” in your own category and select “Survey” or “Question pool for surveys”:
- Survey: If you want to create an individual survey and create and save your questions in this directly, select this object.
- Question pool for surveys: If you want to use your questions in several consultations, you can create the questions in this pool and insert them in an individual survey at a later date. Only the “survey” can be completed by people. After you have created the question pool for consultations and filled it with questions, you must repeat step 6 and add a “survey”.
Assign your “survey” a suitable title and click on “Create survey”.
|Types of question||
|Invitation||Invitation and reminder e-mails can be sent from ILIAS to participants via the setting with an access key (e-mail addresses of the test subjects necessary).|
II. Publishing a survey
- Call up your survey in iTools that you want to publish.
- Click on the register “Info”.
- Click on “Show more information”.
- Copy the “Permanent Link” and place it where you want (e.g. personal invitation e-mail, website)
If this link is activated, the participants access the start page of your survey directly and can complete this by clicking on “Start Survey” without a login. Naturally, you can also send the direct link to the superordinated category (e.g. if you have several surveys).
III. Invite participants
In most cases, an invitation e-mail is sent via a personal e-mail program or the survey link is published on a website. With the “Anonymous survey with access codes” setting, the ILIAS survey offers you the possibility to send invitation and reminder e-mails via ILIAS directly.
Manage survey by several people
To be able to create and edit a survey together with others, you require a work group, in addition to the survey, which determines who has administration rights to your survey. To this end, proceed as follows.
The work group deals with the authorizations
If several people are supposed to set up your survey and create questions, you require
- You own category in iTools » Umfragen und Evaluationen and
- A common work group (see "Opening work groups").
In your group, you can register other people as administrators in your group using the “Members” register. Now create a survey in your group. All administrators can work on this survey.
Publishing a survey
To publish your survey so that it can be completed, you must link your survey in your personal category in iTools » Umfragen und Evaluationen (see 1.). To this end, proceed as follows:
- Click on “Actions” on the right of your survey.
- Select the option “Link”.
- You will now see the ILIAS magazine as a tree structure. Navigate to the path “iTools » Umfragen und Evaluationen” and mark your own category.
- Click on “Paste” at the side at the very bottom.
If you want to sent the published link to your suvey, ensure that you use the survey link in "iTools » Umfragen und Evaluationen » [your personal category] » [your survey]” and not the survey link in the work group!
VHO - Temporary accounts
The purpose of the VHO accounts (Virtual Home Organization) is to enable the iLUB support center to grant temporary AAI accounts quickly and simply to people not entitled to a campus account but with justified requests to be able to access the ILIAS resource of the University of Bern.
A - Z
Here you will find the key websites relating to iTools at the University of Bern.