Validation and Validity
Before using for the first time ... and every semester
For the ID to be valid, the thermally printed strip must be characterized with the study-specific data at one of the numerous validation terminals (=validate). This validation process only takes a few seconds and must be repeated by students at the beginning of every semester.
The following variable data are printed on the validation strip:
- Category (e.g. student, doctoral student, etc.) or dual role (e.g. student / staff)
- Registration status “on leave” if on leave
- Membership of the Student Union of the University of Bern (if yes: “SUB” entry)
- Membership of a faculty (e.g. WISO)
- Semester of validity (e.g. fall semester 2015)
- Period of validity (e.g. until January 31, 2016)
- Discount code (“S” for students with a dual role)
Before using for the first time, the card must be signed.
When can the card be validated for the coming (paid) semester?
No earlier than 6 working days after payment of the tuition fees and not before August 1 for the fall semester and not before February 1 for the spring semester.
For students with a foreign address, initial validation is performed by the Admissions Office.