Mobility and Exchange Students

SEMP (Erasmus) studies

The University of Bern has concluded agreements with more than 260 universities in Europe as part of the Swiss-European Mobility Programme (Erasmus).

The Swiss-European Mobility Programme (SEMP) is part of a transitional solution which makes it possible to continue the exchange activities to date, in spite of the fact that Switzerland has been excluded from the Erasmus+ programme. The Swiss-European Mobility Programme is financed by the Swiss Confederation. The admission requirements which must be completed prior to the program of study as well as how the stay abroad works are the same as with Erasmus.



Please find an overview of our partner universities for each subject in our online portal:

We recommend that you read all the field reports relevant for your guest university. If there are only few reports in your subject area, we suggest that you also read reports from other subject areas. We also recommend that you only read reports from the last 2 to 3 years as earlier reports may no longer be up to date. 

Conditions of application

  • There is an SEMP (Erasmus) agreement in your mono/major or minor with the host university you are interested in.
  • You have to complete one year (BA) or one semester (MA) of study at the University of Bern before starting your exchange program.
  • You remain registered at the University of Bern while you are studying abroad and continue to pay the full tuition fees here. You are exempted from paying tuition fees at the host university. Cantonal grants continue to be paid during your period of study abroad (the conditions of the cantonal grant must continue to be fulfilled).  

Registration date for the following fall and/or spring semester:

February 1 for History and Law.
March 1 for all other subjects.

Application procedure

  1. Find out information about the existing possibilities of studying abroad within the SEMP/Erasmus program (Online-Portal). All SEMP (Erasmus) exchange opportunities for the coming academic year are published mid November. Find true-to-life stories about studying abroad by reading the field reports of former outgoings: Read reports 
  2. The application deadline is February 1st or March 1st 2016. Some institutes have earlier (internal) deadlines or the departmental coordinators (institute) require that you hand in additional application documents besides the application form. In both cases, we recommend that you inform yourself on the website of your institute / department. If you have subject specific questions about your study exchange you should contact your departmental coordinator: Contacts
  3. Please register with our online-portal. The application window is now open: Online-Portal   
  4. After your registration in the online-portal you will receive further information by email as well as your personal login link with which you can access your application. Afterward, you can also print out your personal application form.

The departmental coordinator in your discipline is your primary contact for subject specific questions such as recognition of ECTS credit points. 

Follow the link below to find out who is responsible for the exchange programs in your discipline. Choose your field of study (mono / major / minor). If your field of study is not listed and is offered by several of the involved institutes, you can select one of the involved fields of study.

Outgoing students in the SEMP (Erasmus) program receive a grant of CHF 1,600 for one semester and CHF 3,200 if they are studying abroad for a whole year.

What do I have to do?
By when?
Registering at the host university
Once the International Office has accepted your registration for a period of study abroad, you are nominated by the International Office at the University of Bern at your host university. Once you have been nominated (you are informed of this by e-mail), you have to register at your host university yourself (Application) - you yourself are responsible for adhering to the deadlines of your host university. Take a look at the website of your host university for information about the registration formalities for incoming Erasmus students (in a few cases, there is a separate registration procedure for SEMP incomings). You may well receive information directly from the host university when you have been nominated. You yourself are responsible for registering on time! As soon as possible after your nomination. Make sure you keep within the application deadline!
Learning Agreement
Select courses at the host university, discuss these with your Erasmus coordinator, and have the learning agreement signed by both parties (your own and the host university). Before going abroad.
Entering the host country Make sure you find out about the conditions relevant to entering and residing in the particular country.
As soon as possible.
Accommodation Apply for accommodation in a student dorm or try to find accommodation yourself. With registration at the host university
or as soon as possible.
Renewal of semester registration Complete the semester registration for your semester abroad at the University of Bern: Studying for one semester at another university. As soon as possible. Registration fees
or pay bill immediately.
Formal obligation and certificate of registration Complete the formal obligation and submit it together with the certificate of registration from the University of Bern for the exchange semester to the International Office. As soon as you receive the certificate of registration after paying the semester fees.
What do I have to do? By when?
Learning Agreement (LA)
If you would like to make any changes, please note them down on the back under "Changes" or use a new form and have the LA signed again by both parties (your own and the host university).
At the start of your stay abroad.
Please inform the International Office and the Erasmus coordinator at the University of Bern of a termination or a planned extension of your stay.
As soon as the situation is known.
Certificate of Attendance
Have the Certificate of Attendance signed by your host university.
Before the end of your stay abroad.
Transcript of Records Ask for a Transcript of Records. Before the end of your stay abroad.
What do I have to do? By when?
Submitting documents to the International Office

Submit a copy of the fully and correctly signed and current learning agreement (incl. changes) and the Certificate of Attendance completed and signed by the host university via Mobility-Online (upload).

As soon as you return
Field report

Complete the questionnaire and the field report via Mobility-Online.


As soon as you return
Recognition of your achievements elsewhere for your current studies

Submit the Transcript of Records to your Erasmus coordinator or follow any instructions you are given by your Erasmus coordinator.

Once you have received the Transcript of Records