ISEP - International Student Exchange Program
ISEP is the largest network for student exchanges worldwide. With ISEP Exchange you can study one or two semesters at one of around
in every offered field of study except Medicine and Veterinary Medicine. The only exception is participation in the ISEP Direct Program.
You remain registered at the University of Bern and deposit the money here for food and accommodation. In return, you do not pay any registration fees at the host university and will be given free accommodation and meals or a grant with the equivalent amount. The amount you deposit here enables an ISEP guest student to stay in Bern with the same conditions.
Conditions of registration
- You must have completed one year (BA) or one semester (MA) of study at the University of Bern before starting your exchange program.
- Excellent knowledge of English, if necessary further language skills in accordance with the requirements of the particular institutions.
- Registration at the University of Bern at the time you apply as well as during your exchange program.
- Application fee USD 100 to be paid to ISEP by credit card (cannot be reimbursed).
- Placement fee USD 325 to be paid after the allocation of the place by credit card.
- Per semester CHF 6,000: Costs for accommodation and meals. The University of Bern will invoice you for this amount as soon as you have confirmed your place at a host university with your signature. The invoice must be paid before you leave. By paying the invoice you confirm to participate in the exchange and therefore, a reimbursement of the payment is not possible. The amount of CHF 6,000 is a fixed lump sum to be paid per semester (irrespective of the length of the semester at the host university). The services provided by the different host universities can differ (single or shared room, meal plan, usage of sport facilities etc.).
- Tuition fees of the University of Bern (at the host university no tuition fees will be charged)
Language requirements for the US
Most universities in the US require proof of your English language skills in the form of a TOEFL Test. The TOEFL results must be sent directly to the ISEP Central Office (ISEP TOEFL number 9250 - choose Arlington and ISEP on your computer screen.). For the fall semester, the test results have to have been received by January 1 at the latest, for the spring semester by July 15. Please submit a copy of your test results with your registration documents.
Language requirements for other countries
Excellent knowledge of English, if necessary further language skills in accordance with the requirements of the particular institutions.
Application and registration dates
Conditions of registration
In terms of preparation, you have to allow yourself plenty of time for selecting the universities that suit your degree.
Involve the departmental exchange coordinator in your field of study and find out about how your academic attainments achieved during your exchange semester are recognized in your degree.
Contact details departmental exchange coordinators:
The International Office has no influence on placements at particular universities. A sound application can increase your chances of obtaining a place at the university of your choice. There is, however, no guarantee. Please take note of the document "Application Advice" below.
Application takes place in two steps:
1. Registration at the International Office at the University of Bern
Exchange during the autumn semester: 1st October - 15th December
Exchange during the autumn and spring semester: 1st October - 15th December
Exchange during the spring semester: 1st April - 15th June
2. Online application at ISEP
Once your documents have been checked, the ISEP coordinator from the International Office creates the user account necessary for the online application. (How to apply)
After the exchange visit
At the end of your stay, you are obliged to fill out a Concluding Report. You can do that here online without it being too time-consuming.
Preparing the exchange
In the field report of former exchange students you will find valuable tips on how to prepare your exchange visit.