Exchange partners worldwide
Bilateral exchange agreements
The University of Bern has concluded exchange agreements with individual universities all over the world. During your exchange, you remain registered at the University of Bern and, in return, do not pay any registration fees at the partner university. The exchange is possible for one or two semesters within an academic year. It is not possible to complete your course of studies at the partner university as part of the exchange.
Further exchange possibilities may be offered in your field of study on the basis of subject agreements. Please ask at your department/institute.
Choose your preferred destination and read the individual conditions for each partner university here:
Application and deadlines
Conditions of application
Students can apply if they have finished one year (BA) or one semester (MA) of study at the University of Bern. Please note the different conditions in accordance with the relevant information leaflets for the individual universities.
Complete the online application form.
Afterwards you will receive an e-mail with the link and login details to our Mobility Online portal. There you can print out your appliation form and have it signed by the departmental coordinator or a lecturer in your field of study.
Send the following documents to the International Office:
- Signed application form
- Up-to-date Study profile sheet
- Letter of reference from a lecturer in your field of study
- CV in English
- Letter of motivation in English for every partner university selected
- Language diploma, language test or proof of language ability in the language taught in at the partner university (please read information leaflets under Continents or Countries)
- Completed learning agreement for every selected partner university.
As the course catalogues are not usually available for the selected exchange period, you can choose courses that are currently being offered. You don't have to have this form signed yet.
- Certificate of registration from the University of Bern
- Copy of passport/ID
January 15 for autumn and/or spring semester of the subsequent academic year
June 15 for remaining places for spring semester of the subsequent academic year (if available)